HIPAA Privacy Officer (Plano, TX)
Location: Plano, TX
Human Coalition is thrilled to be expanding, adding a vital member to Legal and Compliance Team with the HIPAA Privacy Officer.
The HIPAA Privacy Officer will work with the head of compliance to oversee, manage, and administer the organization’s health information privacy program, policies, procedures, and activities. This is a highly visible position with interaction with multiple clinics.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Maintains a strong working knowledge of federal, state, and local laws and regulations pertaining to the privacy and security of health information, including, without limitation, HIPAA, HITECH, and applicable state medical records privacy laws, rules, and regulations.
- Responsible for helping to optimize, enforce, and educate staff on the organization’s policies and procedures related to HIPAA, HITECH, and other health information privacy and security requirements
- Conducts internal clinical site privacy reviews, audits, and risk assessments
- Prepares findings reports with recommended action items; discusses findings with respective clinic management and other leadership where appropriate; and provides follow up to ensure compliance with approved recommendations
- Maintains and updates as needed the organization’s HIPAA policies and procedures
- Responsible for the identification, analysis, documentation, and resolution of issues related to patient complaints
- Researches regulatory changes; performs impact and risk analyses related to such; and communicates with and educates staff as directed
- Works with Human Resources to develop and enforce appropriate disciplinary standards and sanctions for a failure to adhere to the organization’s information privacy and security policies and procedures
- Maintains and updates internal Business Associate Agreement (BAA) database as needed
- Helps to update and make available the Notice of Privacy Practice, HIPAA authorization form, and other required forms
- Monitors staff compliance with annual HIPAA training and attestation
- Works closely with Security Officer to ensure coordination between the information privacy and security policies, procedures, protocols, and requirements
Key Capabilities and Experience
- Three or more years of demonstrated experience with HIPAA, HITECH, and other relevant health information privacy and security laws and regulations, preferably in the position of HIPAA Privacy Officer or other compliance professional
- Bachelor’s degree preferred
- Knowledge of and experience in working with protected health information and patient records
- Ability to gather and report data in a meaningful format
- Passionately motivated by and is deeply committed to the mission, vision, values, objectives, and goals of Human Coalition
- Possess a strong need to accomplish the mission as a valued team member and collaborate energetically with staff
- Demonstrate a high level of professional integrity and interpersonal skills
- Ability to handle sensitive and confidential situations
- Superior written and oral communication skills
- Ability to work independently in a fast-paced, dynamic environment
- Ability to provide continual attention to detail
- Deep commitment to compliance and the current regulatory environment
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of this position.
Please send cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org