Read Time: 4 minutes
In the letter to the Philippians, the Apostle Paul wrote, “Do nothing from selfishness or empty conceit, but with humility of mind regard one another as more important than yourselves; do not merely look out for your own personal interests, but also for the interests of others.”
In ways that just a few weeks ago seemed nonsensical, Americans are living out Paul’s command in a new time in U.S. history. We are practicing “social distancing.” We are keeping away from public places and instead spending the vast majority of time at home. Most people are working from home, now juggling jobs with new challenges such as home-schooling, childcare, and care for other family members.
For many people, these are real but temporary inconveniences. And we are finding ways to stay connected to our friends and family through video calls. We are still getting basic necessities through home delivery or quick trips to stores.
However, for other Americans, the impact of COVID-19 is far more serious, and the impact is not necessarily the virus itself.
I’m deeply concerned not only about our health but about the economic impact of COVID-19 on families across the country. Like you, I’m watching the unemployment statistics reach new highs as more and more business temporarily or permanently close. My prayer is not only for protection from the virus, but a very quick return to work for American families.
Human Coalition works primarily with young women in already challenging circumstances. And these pregnant moms are particularly vulnerable during national crises, and the abortion industry preys on them with increased aggression. So, while our government and private industry rush to protect us from the virus, the pro-life movement continues to rush to protect preborn babies and their families from the predatory abortion machine. And Human Coalition remains at full force in that rescue effort.
Because you so consistently pray for and support the staff and volunteers at Human Coalition, I wanted to give you a brief update on how Human Coalition is responding to the COVID-19 crisis. We are, in fact, experiencing a marked increase in women reaching out to us, and thus we are moving to meet the needs and requests for help. Here are a few shifts we’ve made in our care model during this time:
- Prior to March 13th, Human Coalition operated 7 life-affirming brick and mortar clinics and two virtual life-affirming clinics. On March 13th, Human Coalition converted its 7 brick and mortar women’s care clinics to virtual clinics, thus our entire operation shifted to a “tele-health” environment. Since then, our nurses, counselors, and social workers have remained on full shifts, serving our clients remotely.
- In some clinic locations, we have expanded our hours in order to accommodate higher demand for our life-affirming services.
- Similarly, we have repositioned staff from lower-demand areas into higher-demand areas to make sure we are serving all clients quickly and compassionately.
- Our social workers and support teams are putting in very substantial hours to find new partners who can assist our clients with various needs. Because many non-profits have closed or reduced their services, our team has been hard at work forming new partner relationships, building new referral sources, and making sure we advocate on behalf of our clients and their babies. They are also in very close contact with various government agencies, making sure those support services are provided when necessary and warranted.
- We are monitoring client needs and volume daily and making changes accordingly. Even while anxiety and challenges increase in society, our team is committed to adapting quickly so that every client experiences the tangible love of Christ, has every opportunity to choose life for their baby, and sees hope in the middle of the COVID-19 pandemic.
I had the privilege of meeting with our entire team this morning on a video call. They were so encouraged to hear of your prayers for them and your tangible displays of support. Even though COVID-19 is causing many challenges in our nation, Human Coalition is experiencing an increase in need and, thus, an increase in rescued children from abortion. We see God’s hand at work in mighty ways! And we trust Him fully as He providentially guides us through these trying months.
And our team is praying for you, your health, and your well-being. While our nation appropriately focuses on those most vulnerable to COVID-19, let us also make sure to continue focusing on the most vulnerable group of Americans still – preborn children and their families.
I’ll be back in touch soon to give you further updates. If you’d like to receive occasional text updates from us, click here.